First, let me give props to the NHL for doing such a good job with this year’s annual award show.
Jay Mohr was hysterical as the host, the presenters were all pretty good, except Jamie Kennedy mispronounced the Vezina Trophy, and the performances were solid as well. All-in-all, I thought it was a huge success, especially compared to years past when the show was dryer than my mother’s cooking. It was particularly funny when Duncan Keith complained that they were trying to send him off by cuing the music, while Alex Ovechkin just waited until they turned his mic back on.
My only real disappointment was that Ryan Miller didn’t win the Messier Leadership Award. I wasn’t too torn up because it is a fake award so it didn’t really matter. But, I feel that Miller truly shows the meaning of a true leader and deserved the victory. Although, Sidney Crosby does have so many of those attributes as well.
For the Buffalo Sabres, it was a great night. Tyler Myers won the Calder Memorial Trophy as the most outstanding rookie, Ryan Miller took home a generous donation after winning the NHL Foundation Award and he won a little trophy called the Vezina as the best goaltender in the NHL. To cap the evening he was named to the NHL First All-Star team.
On top of that, The Goo Goo Dolls made an appearance, it was cool to see the Buffalo boys get a little exposure.
The clear favorite for each award won, there really weren’t any surprises looking back. Awards like the Selke, Lady Byng, Bill Masterson and Calder are often difficult to predict. But, only the Calder and Selke are truly reflections of how the player performed throughout the season. Since Pavel Datsyuk is always a favorite for the Selke, I wasn’t surprised to hear his name as the winner.I would say that the Calder and Hart were the only two I had no idea who the winner would be. As it turns out, both went to the players I was hoping for.
Again, kudos to the League for a job well done. Here is a complete run-down of tonight’s winners:
- Hart Memorial Trophy: Henrik Sedin, Vancouver Canucks
- Ted Lindsay Award: Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals
- James Norris Trophy: Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks
- Vezina Trophy: Ryan Miller, Buffalo Sabres
- Frank J. Selke Trophy: Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings
- Calder Memorial Trophy: Tyler Myers, Buffalo Sabres
- Lady Byng Award: Martin St. Louis, Tampa Bay Lightning
- Jack Adams Award: Dave Tippett, Phoenix Coyotes
- King Clancy Trophy: Shane Doan, Phoenix Coyotes
- Bill Masterson Trophy: Jose Theodore, Washington Capitals
- Art Ross Trophy: Henrik Sedin
- Maurice Richard Trophy: Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning & Sidney Crosby Pittsburgh Penguins
- William Jennings Trophy: Martin Brodeur, New Jersey Devils